Well, if so, you’re in luck. To save you some hassle, we’ve taken a sneaky cheeky peek into our Flaviar Members' virtual Bars to see what some of the most popular Spirits are right now. What follows is a certified can’t-go-wrong-at-all list of Uncle Flaviar-approved selections in the five of the most popular Spirits categories.
It doesn't come as a surprise that Scotch is the winner in all aspects – hands down, the most popular category among our Members and, for many, the No. 1 drink of choice to take along with them to a desert island.
Our members' favorite Scotch brands:
- Glenlivet: founded in 1824, Glenlivet is the first licensed distillery in Scotland. Today Glenlivet is one of the “Big Three” Single Malt producers, being #1 in the United States and #2 worldwide. Flaviaristas' favorite bottlings are The Glenlivet 18 Year Old and 15 Year Old French Oak Reserve.
- Lagavulin: established in 1816, this is one of the most robust, peaty Islay malts around. Lagavulin 16 Year Old is a classic and the No. 1 most popular bottle in our Members' virtual bars, quickly followed by Lagavulin Distillers Edition.
- Glenmorangie: founded in 1843, their stills are the tallest in Scotland, which means that only the very lightest vapors make it to the top, resulting in a smooth and elegant Scotch. Glenmorangie Signet is a popular choice with our Members.
- Dalmore: Alexander Matheson founded Dalmore Distillery in 1839. He ran it successfully for nearly three decades before he sold the facility to Andrew and Charles Mackenzie. They incorporated the family crest (the 12-pointed stag) into the distillery logo, which is still used today. By far, the most popular dram is their core 12 Year Old, which is used as a foundation for all other expressions. However, our Members swear by The Dalmore 18 Year Old and The Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve.
- Johnnie Walker: is the world’s number one Scotch Whisky brand, enjoyed by people in over 180 countries around the world. If you’re looking for a certified gem, Johnnie Walker Blue Label is Flaviar Community’s Favorite.
P.S.: One of the best reasons to be a Flaviarista is access to Spirits made for Members – and sometimes by Members. Meet Son of a Peat Batch 03 The Redeemer. Not only is it a Member's favorite, but it also won a Gold medal at the San Francisco World Spirit Competition in 2021.
Here are some more honorable mentions which would be great additions to any Scotch lover's home bar:
- Naked Malt Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
- The Glenrothes Whisky Maker's Cut
- Naked Malt Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
- The Macallan 12 Year Old Double Cask
- Highland Park Viking Pride 18 Year Old
- Famous Grouse Blended Scotch Whisky
- Oban 14 Year Old
- Lagavulin 11 Year Old Nick Offerman Edition Double Charred Single Malt Scotch Whisky
If you want to win at gifting this year, Flaviar's "Depths of Whiskey" Advent Calendar is the gift to do just that! The Advent calendar contains 24 vials of premium Whiskey, an award-winning Glencairn tasting glass, a high-quality Flaviar concrete coaster, and a collectible artistic booklet, your guide to each Whiskey in the box.
Bourbon & American Whiskey
With roots in the late 1700s, when British, Irish, and Scottish settlers started making Whiskey in Kentucky, all American Whiskeys are distilled from a fermented mash of cereal grain and water.
Unlike Scotch, by law, American Whiskey must be aged in new, charred oak barrels and can be no more than 160 Proof (80% ABV). Bourbon, meanwhile, must be made from a mash that is at least 51% corn.
Our Members' Favorite Bourbons:
- Blanton’s: Blanton’s is a unique, stand-alone brand with a focus on nothing but greatness. Blanton's Bourbons are something special. Just look at the bottle! Have you ever seen such a unique shape in an American Whiskey? Blanton's Original Single Barrel was the winner of the Flaviar Community Award 2017 in its respective category!
- Angel’s Envy: Angel’s Envy Bourbons and Rye Whiskeys come to us from the blessed hands of Louisville Distilling Co. The Angel's Envy line is, as they say, their masterpiece, and it’s inspired by legendary Master Distiller Lincoln Henderson's lifetime of crafting fine Spirits. Our Member’s choice? Angel's Envy Bourbon Whiskey.
- Woodford Reserve: The Woodford Reserve Distillery has been distilling on the same site for more than 235 years, making it the oldest Bourbon distillery in Kentucky. It doesn’t get much better than this when it comes to combos of tradition, quality, and originality. If you’re a Bourbon fan, you’ll surely appreciate Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. Our members for sure do!
- Buffalo Trace: The Buffalo Trace signature Bourbon is beloved by its fans; it’s also pretty spectacular and not overly-priced. For many Flaviar fans, Buffalo Trace is their “go-to” daily sipper, and we think it would be hard to make a better choice.
The holy mission of Flaviar has always been finding you something new to try. Our scope is beyond the already existing Spirits, so we create new offerings. Say Howdy to Flaviar's first own Bourbon. Corn Trooper United Craft Bourbon is adored by Flaviar Members and is getting all-star ratings. is getting all-star ratings.
if you're still not sure what the perfect gift for a Bourbon lover would be, check out more top-notch Bourbon bottles to choose from:
- Noble Oak Double Oak Bourbon
- Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea Voyage 24 Bourbon Whiskey
- Penelope Bourbon Barrel Strength Batch 12 Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Russell's Reserve 10 Year Old Bourbon Whiskey
- Jefferson's Very Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey
And if your loved one is more on the American Whiskey side, here are the bottles recommended by uncle Flaviar:
- Balcones Texas "1" Single Malt Whisky
- Blackened American Whiskey
- Wyoming Whiskey Small Batch Bourbon Whiskey
- Westward American Single Malt Whiskey
- Jefferson's Ocean Aged at Sea Double Barrel Voyage 26 Rye Whiskey
You can take your loved one on a Whiskey exploration journey with the Whiskey exploration kit where they can try 12 Whiskeys from Japan, Taiwan, Scotland, Ireland, and four US states. They will also receive a tasting booklet to follow the journey and branded Glencairn tasting glass.
Rum is the most elaborate Spirit in the world and mind-bogglingly diverse. It’s made in over 100 countries, which is almost everywhere, except Antarctica!
These Rum Brands are the most popular choice among Flaviaristas:
- Ron Zacapa: named after a town in eastern Guatemala, this cloud forest distillery uses only the first press of sugar cane, known as virgin sugar cane honey, and a strain of yeast extracted from pineapples. Ron Zacapa Solera 23 is most often found in our Members’ home bars.
- Ten To One Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish: This compelling expression is Ten To One’s first special cask finish edition, it’s super limited, and it’s a Flaviar release! It will impress Rum lovers and seduce those who only flirt with the category. Ten out of ten for Ten To One.
- El Dorado 15 Year Old: It was voted the Best Rum in the World at the International Wine & Spirits Challenge four years in a row. Hailed by virtually everyone in the Rum world as being divine, it truly is a crowd-pleaser.
- Bumbu The Original Rum: Every little thing about this product just screams Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y. Except for the price. The price is right and then some. Jackpot, baby! Wish to expand your liquor cabinet without hurting your wallet? Discover our selection of Rums under $100!
- Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva: Ron Diplomático is one of the most respected producers in the World, with a selection of exciting Rums that have captured the attention of many Rumminados. The Reserva Exclusiva is a staple in every Rum lover’s collection.
By the way, in 2020, the Larga Vida Rum impressed Flaviar Members as they voted it into the Top 5 Spirits of the year, winning it one of the 2020 Flaviar Community Awards.
Want more? Here are seven unique Rums that you can find on the Flaviar site that range in price and rarity from around the globe.
- Brugal 1888 Rum
- Black Tot Finest Caribbean Rum
- Chairman's Reserve The Forgotten Casks
- Clement Select Barrel Rhum
- Holmes Cay Fiji 2004 Single Cask Rum
- The Real McCoy 12 Year Old Prohibition Tradition
- Santa Teresa 1796 Solera Rum
The popularity and consumption of Irish Whiskey have been on the rise for years. The style unique to Irish Whiskey is called single pot-still, which is triple distilled Whiskey made from a combination of malted and unmalted barley. The flavor profile of Irish Whiskey is gentle, flowery, and delicate, i.e., lighter, smoother, and more approachable.
The following five Irish Whiskeys are our Members' favorites:
- Jameson: founded in Dublin back in 1780, Jameson is one of the most recognizable and top-selling Irish Whiskey globally, with a wide-ranging product line delivering over 56 million bottles of Irish golden nectar each year. Jameson 18 Year Old Triple Distilled and Jameson Black Barrel are two of the Members’ favorites.
- Redbreast 12 Year Old: produced in The Midleton distilleries in Cork County, this is a ‘single pot still’ Whiskey, made differently from a Single Malt because the mash is made from both malted and un-malted ‘green’ barley. It’s highly regarded as one of the best (if not the best) Irish Whiskeys by notable critics and laypeople alike.
- Mitchell & Son Green Spot Single Pot Still: Green Spot Single Pot Still bears no age statement and is composed of pot still Whiskeys aged 7 to 10 years. This much-appraised drop of Irish Whiskey has become a cult favorite.
- Bushmills 16 Year Old Single Malt: unanimously considered the oldest licensed distillery in the world, having celebrated its 400th anniversary in 2008, this dram is matured in three different types of casks.
- Teeling Small Batch Irish Whiskey: Teeling Small Batch Whiskey is Teeling's attempt to create the most interesting Blended Irish Whiskey. They’re making great progress toward reigniting the craving for Irish Whiskey worldwide. We applaud.
Enjoying a resurgence in popularity, as more people discover the wonders of Gin, there’s been a flood of high-quality craft producers experimenting with herbs lately. Some people actively hate Gin, due to the flavor profile, which can be a bit overwhelming, with strong notes of juniper and other spices. While not the first choice for everyone, those open to new experiences will appreciate the complexity of the taste.
Five most popular Gin bottles on our Members' shelves:
- Monkey 47 Schwarzwald Dry Gin: a novelty within the Gin Universe, this tipple is unique because of its low production volume and tangible difference in taste, obtained by double distillation of grain and the third distillation with botanicals.
- Sipsmith London Dry Gin: this London-based distillery makes small batches of Gin, typically under 500 bottles, producing a genuinely stunning Spirit that is smooth, full of character, and intense flavor. Flaviar Community agrees: Sipsmith London Dry was the winner of the 2017 Flaviar Community Awards in its respective category and is one of the very best you can get. Anywhere.
- The Botanist Islay Dry Gin: The craftsmen at Bruichladdich use nine classic Gin aromatics and a whopping 22 additional local botanicals, which are hand-picked from the windswept hills, peat bogs, and Atlantic shores of the Hebridean island of Islay.
- Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin: Gunpowder Gin is the meeting of oriental spice and Irish tradition. Gunpowder tea, which is a form of green tea, lends the Gin a slightly spicy freshness. It’s an explosion of flavors in a bottle! It's also the winner of the 2019 Flaviar Community Awards — Flaviaristas know a good Gin when they taste it.
- Hendrick's Gin: Distilled in Ayrshire, Scotland, where one would least expect to find a Gin, Hendrick’s is made in minuscule batches of 450 liters, infused with the Bulgarian Rosa Damascena and specially selected cucumbers from Holland.
- No.3 London Dry Gin: This wonderful three fruits/ three spices combo comes out of London’s oldest Wine and Spirit merchant Berry Bros. & Rudd and packs quite a punch at 46% ABV, yet still delivers floral notes with warm cardamom and citrus "zing"
Still haven't found what you're looking for? Why not go outside the box and gift a bottle of dark-aged Rum & Mezcal in Ron Colón Salvadoreño Rumzcal, or a multi-award winning Aperitif with Downtime Cocktails Batch 22 Classic Gold New American Aquavit? You just might win the honor of giving out the most unique gift this Christmas!
Picking the perfect gift for the Spirits lover in your life just became a lot easier, didn't it? It's time to congratulate yourself! Life is good.