All about Glenmorangie distillery
Glenmorangie is located in Tain, Ross-shire in the Northern Highlands. William Mathesen founded Glenmorangie in 1843, years after working in a nearby distillery. He leased Morangie Farm on the shores of Dornach Firth to build it. The distillery is situated in Tain, one of the oldest “Royal” burghs in Scotland, dating back to 1066, in the region of Easter Ross. Production started in 1849.
In 1918, 40% of the company was sold to their rivals Macdonald and Muir, and 60% to Durham. In 1996 Glenmorangie moved from its original location in Leith (port of Edinburgh) to a larger facility in Broxburn, West Lothian.
The following year they acquired the Ardbeg Distillery on the island of Islay, and in 2009 they upgraded to a new state-of-the-art Production Facility and Offices in Livingston, West Lothian as well as a new Head Office in central Edinburgh.
In 2005, the Macdonald family sold all of its distilleries to Moët Hennessey who vamped up the production and the Whisky range.
They produced their maltings through Tamdhu Maltings. The distillery has 20 washbacks. Eight of which are stainless steel. The remaining 12 are made from Oregon pine. Five total wash stills and five spirit stills are operational in Glenrothes. Mainly Sherry and Bourbon casks are used for aging.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Highlands
- Established: 1843
- Address: Glenmorangie Distillery Tain Ross-shire IV19 1PZ United Kingdom
- Phone: +44 1862 892477
- Website: www.glenmorangie.com/