When you ask most people about songs where they sing about Whiskey, you are likely to get a long list of names like George Thorogood, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and Hank Williams, Jr. If you ask those same folks whether women ever sing about Whiskey you are likely to get a blank stare right back at you.
As it turns out there are plenty of women singing about Whiskey, and it’s not what you might expect. Check out these badass women who sing about Whiskey:
1. Beyonce - Daddy LessonsWhether autobiographical or not, Beyonce sings about her father teaching her to be a strong woman and not take abuse from anyone.
And daddy liked his Whisky with his tea
And we rode motorcycles
Blackjack, classic vinyl
Tough girl is what I had to be
While this song isn’t exactly a song that casts Whiskey, in this case Moonshine, in a positive light, it paints a picture of the realities of life in Appalachia for many families.
2. Dolly Parton - Daddy’s Moonshine Still
Well it broke mama's heart but she understood
The day that I left home for good
I had to find me another way to live
Well I sent mama money nearly every day
And how I made it, well I'd rather not say
But at least it took me far away
From daddy's Moonshine still
Sitting in a club drinking, the protagonist meets a man who she believes is perfect for her. There’s just one problem - her boyfriend is there somewhere, too, though she doesn’t know where, so she keeps talking to this new guy vacillating between happiness at having met him and sadness at the fact they can’t be together.
3. Taylor Swift - Gorgeous
Whisky on ice, Sunset and Vine
You've ruined my life, by not being mine
Disco, man, what a time to have been alive. Donna Summer was the voice of disco, and listening to her music can almost give you a sense of what it must have been like in the Disco clubs.
4. Donna Summer - Sunset People
Rainbow girl, Whiskey man
Spotting every star they can
On sunset, on sunset
Ethridge rocketed to stardom with her 1995 hit I’m The Only One, which peaked at #8 on Billboard’s Hot 100, but she is also an extremely prolific musician with 11 albums under her belt so far.
5. Melissa Etheridge - Royal Station 4/16
I got this Whiskey to take care of my lips
I got these long cool steel strings
At my fingertips
6. Rihanna - Cheers'Cheers to the freakin weekend' is the refrain of a generation. I just wish she had opted to sing about American Whiskey instead of Irish Whiskey.
Cheers to the freakin' weekend
I drink to that, yeah yeah
Oh let the Jameson sink in
I drink to that, yeah yeah
7. Sheryl Crowl - Love Is FreeShe sings, she writes, she plays guitar, and she even acts - is there anything Sheryl Crow can’t do? She wants everyone to come together.
You go to church
And pray to God for no more rain
A paper sack
Well hey there Jack
You want some Bourbon for the pain
Do you have a favorite song about Whiskey? Leave a comment below so I can add it to my playlist!