Sign up to be notified about special releases, live events, distillery tours and other cool things.
The Tobermory distillery can be found in the Hebrides on the Isle of Mull. It is the only distillery on the island, and stands surrounded by the colorful homes of the Village of Tobermory.
Tobermory distillery was founded under a different name — Ledaig — in 1798 by a man named John Sinclair.
Sinclair bought 57 acres south of the harbor in what is now Tobermory, upon which he would build houses, a pier, and a stillhouse. The facility was closed in 1930 due to effects of the American Prohibition, and reopened in 1972.
Tobermory single malt is produced from barley that never touches peat, and aged in oak casks for at least a decade. The distillery also manufactures a peated spirit called Ledaig, in honor of the original distillery name, in limited quanitities.
Water used in the workings is drawn from a privately owned loch near the Misnish lochs. Its capacity lies just north of a million liters per year. Maturation takes place at the distillery in Deanston, in ex-Bourbonand ex-Sherry casks.