All about Isle of Jura distillery
Jura Distillery is located on the island of Jura in the Inner Hebrides, actually it is really close to the island of Islay.
Jura Distillery was founded in 1810, and got its licence in 1831. It changed various owners until 1876, when the Ferguson family purchased it. In 1901, the family reportedly fell into a conflict with the then Laird of Jura, resulting in the dismantling of the distillery.
In 1962, Scottish & Newcastle Breweries formed Mackinlay-McPherson in order to make the distillery operational and in 1963, Jura was on its feet again. In 1985, it was purchased by Invergordon distillers and in 1993, Whyte & Mackay took the control of the distillery.
The Loch a’Bhaile Mhargadh is the main water source of the distillery. Jura owns 4 stills; 2 wash and 2 spirit stills of 24,500 liters and 15,500 liters of capacity respectively.
Their stills used to be the tallest, until the Glenmorangie Distillery was built. The maltings are sourced from Port Ellen and the peat is from the Isle of Jura.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Islands
- Address: Jura Distillery Craighouse Isle of Jura Argyll PA60 7XT United Kingdom
- Phone: +44 1496 820385
- Website: http://www.jurawhisky.com/