All about Glenturret distillery
Glenturret sits near the Highland boundary fault line, on the banks of the Turret River two miles northwest of Crieff in Perthshire. The site of Glenturret was well known for illicit distilling in the 18th century.
The distillery was officially known as Hosh Distillery by that time, and it was founded by a group of illicit distillers. In 1826, another smaller distillery got the licence under the name of Glenturret, but it had a short lifetime.
In 1875, Hosh Distillery changed its name to Glenturret under the ownership of Thomas Stewart. It changed hands several times, and was affected by the Whisky boom and World Wars. Finally Highland Distillers, which was later purchased by The Edrington Group bought the distillery in 1990.
Glenturret uses the waters of Loch Turret. Production capacity is 340,000 liters which is relatively small. There is one wash still with 12,500 liters of capacity and a spirit still having a capacity of 9,000 liters.
Glenturret is still using floor maltings thanks to their small scaled production. The distillery sources its barley from various locations, and different amounts of barley are used in different batches.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Highlands
- Address: Glenturret Distillery The Hosh Crieff Perthshire PH7 4HA United Kingdom
- Phone: +44 1764 656565
- Website: http://www.theglenturret.com/