All about Glen Moray distillery
Glen Moray is located close to Fort George, below the Gallowcrook Hill.
Glen Moray started its life as a brewery in 1828, until 1897, when it was converted into a Whisky distillery. The distillery was operational from 1897 to 1910.
It was closed for a small period of time, until 1912, when Glen Moray reopened, but they had to close again, just after a few months.
MacDonald & Muir bought the distillery in 1920, and -- except for just one year -- they kept the production going until the reconstruction in 1958. In 1996, MacDonald & Muir changed its name to Glenmorangie Plc.
After Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessey bought Glenmorangie Plc in 2008, they released Glen Moray. La Martiniquaise was the lucky buyer.
Glen Moray draws its water from River Lossie. 2 wash stills and 2 spirit stills of pear shape can be found in the distillery. They used a Saladin Box for 20 years, from 1958 to 1978. Before that, the distillery used a floor malting process.
In general, until 2009, the Whisky produced was unpeated. However, after 2009 they experimented with different peat methods. Being a sister distillery with Glenmorangie had its benefits of course.
Glen Moray released a very successful 'finish' series with Chardonnay. It was reminiscent of Glenmorangie's extra maturation series. Glen Moray uses ex-Bourbon barrels to age their single malt in.
- Country: United Kingdom
- Region: Speyside
- Address: Glen Moray Distillery Bruceland Road Elgin Moray IV30 1YE United Kingdom
- Phone: +44 1343 550900
- Website: http://www.glenmoray.com/