Here is a simple recipe with all-natural ingredients. And the best part - you can drink the remainder of the booze.
How it works
The active ingredient in this hand sanitizer recipe is alcohol. The main key is to make a solution that is at least 60% alcohol to make sure it kills all the viruses. It has to be either rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol or grain alcohol (ethanol), as others (methanol, butanol, etc.) are toxic. Good news - Spirits are made from ethanol!
This recipe calls for 90-95% ethanol (commonly also known as Everclear 190 Proof Grain Spirit). If you use a product that contains a lower percentage of alcohol (for instance 70%, such as Everclear 151 Proof, Gosling's Black Seal 151 Proof , Garrison Brothers Cowboy Bourbon or Grande Absenthe), you need to increase the amount of alcohol in the recipe for the sanitizer to be effective.
On the other hand, if the mixture is too high in alcohol, it can dry out your skin, causing cracks and bleeding. Just like cocktail mixing, it’s all about the right ingredients and proportions.
What do you need?
- Bowl and spoon
- Bottle with a pump dispenser
- 2/3 Everclear (or other 90-95% ABV Spirit)
- 1/3 Aloe Vera Gel (or Glycerin or other moisturizing agents)
- 8-10 drops of essential oil (optional, but nice, just like cocktail garnishes)
- Combine ingredients and stir or shake well (yeah, it’s not a Martini).
- Using the funnel, pour the hand sanitizer into the bottle and start using it.
Tip: To purchase the Spirits, visit Flaviar. For further details and instructions on the hand sanitizer, visit the WHO.