Sign up to be notified about special releases, live events, distillery tours and other cool things.
Teaninich Distillery is situated on an industrial estate overlooking the River Alness. The buildings that make up its presence create an austere facade, in contrast to the gentle Highland surroundings.
Captain Hugh Munro founded Teaninich, on the estate of the same name in 1817. The operation was family held until 1904, when Robert Innes Cameron, an investor and major shareholder, took full ownership of Teaninich.
After a series of mergers throughout the 20th century, the distillery lives on as a workhorse in the Diageo stable. Teaninich has expanded consistently over its lifetime. In 1946, the tills were expanded before being doubled in 1962.
In 1970, an entirely new distillery was assembled running six stills, which was labeled the "A-Side." Production at Teanininich is most noteworthy for the installataion of a mash filter press in the year 2000.
In a filter press, the mash is squeezed between cloth plates to collect wort faster, and more thoroughly than with traditional sparging.
CountryUnited Kingdom, Scotland
No. of stills3 wash, 3 spirit
AddressTeaninich Distillery Riverside Drive Alness Ross-shire IV17 0XB United Kingdom