Flaviar Members can claim a free Tasting Box and bottle every quarter.Join the club
Climate maketh Spirits, but it’s a bit deeper than that.
Crafting world-class Whisk(e)y is an intricate symphony. A lot of factors have to come together for it to work perfectly. Let alone crowd-please.
When you’ve been around the bar a couple of times, you know how to hit the hotspots. Kentucky and the banks of Spey are any Whisk(e)y lover’s bucket-list destinations, as they should be.
But a well-travelled palate also knows when to march to the beat of their own dram, find a hidden gem like an alternative Scandi banger, and turn the group chat onto it.
Take a Straight Bourbon, Scotch Single Malt, and a Danish Blended Whisky, and have a whirlwind bromance with the astonishing variety of Whisk(e)y we have the pleasure and privilege of tasting. Maybe you’ll get some answers to your Whisk(ey) whens, wheres, whys.
To over-simplify the mystery-ridden history of Whiskey, as far as evidence goes, it all started somewhere in the Mediterranean. It got really interesting in what we now love as Britain, more accurately Scotland, and Ireland.
Then, who we now accept as 'Yanks' made it their own, and we got Bourbon.
Sometime later, Scotch Whisky became the 'it girl' of top-shelf Booze, and Canadians, the Japanese, and Indians became ridiculously good at it. Suddenly the reserved northern Danes entered the chat and surprised everybody. Tada!
What may seem an unlikely 'throuple' of Whisk(e)y expressions tastes like a fun little study of the ever-evolving world of this Spirit and its many deeply bellowed variations. These are guaranteed to make you go another round!
The GlenAllachie 15 Year Old Single Malt: Start with an old soul. A true independent spirit. The against-the-grain, off the grid, underground energy of Scotch Whisky in general, manifests in abundance with creations from The GlenAllachie Distillery. Critically acclaimed and the pride & joy of the Master Distiller Billy Walker, this lush Cask Strength (46% ABV) Spirit got the lux combination of Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso Sherry treatment.
Yellowstone Select Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: Crack on with an American Bourbon royalty. We’re talking next generation of the Beam family re-emerging on the scene in the shape of Limestone Branch Distillery. Typical yet extraordinary. It’s an award-winning blend of 4 Kentucky Bourbons aged up to 7 years and bottled at an impactful 46.5% ABV.
Stauning Kaos Danish Whisky: On the west side of the Danish coastline, the weather gets really similar to the one of the Scottish Highlands. 9 friends did the math quickly, and started what is now, the award-winning Stauning Whisky distillery using 24 copper pot stills.
The buck should definitely stop by here and enjoy a complex blend of their Single Malt, peated Single Malt, and malted Rye Whiskies bottled at 46% ABV. It’s giving the ‘holy trinity of Whisky flavour. ‘The smoke, the spice, and the subtle sweetness.’
Take your taste buds and tasting buddies flavour-sightseeing with Flaviar! Hop on the mouth-watering merry-go-round, and there’ll be a delicacy anywhere you hop off.
1) Can you guess the Bourbon distillery featured on most of these lists focusing on the topic? Correct, it’s Buffalo Trace! Many distilleries from Scotland and Ireland claim ‘the oldest’ title. But Stauning is crafted in the oldest Danish Whisky distillery.
2) They don’t mind sipping on spirits in Denmarks, but Beer, Akvavit, and Mead represent Denmark better than Whisky.
3) According to research by the World Health Organization for 2022, South Koreans drink the most Booze, and the bestselling Liquor brand is also South Korean.
4) If you order a Danish in America, you’ll receive a famous pastry created by mistake, just like another favourite Italian pastry, the Panettone.
5) Small American towns have an aura, but Bardstown, Kentucky, is something else. Not only is it beautiful, but it’s also officially the Bourbon Capital of the World® and the home of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival®.
An un-aged American Whisky is often called “white dog.”