Founded in 1812 by Captain William Fraser, Royal Brackla is produced by the Royal Brackla distillery. The distillery was built on the grounds of Cawdor Castle, King William IV loved the Whisky so much he awarded Royal Brackla with a “Royal Warrant.”
Called “The King’s Own Whisky” it was renewed by Queen Victoria in 1838. Formerly owned by Diageo, the brand became a part of the Bacardi portfolio when they acquired John Dewer & Sons in 2014.
This Scotch Whisky has signature notes of spice, Sherry, and sweet and smoky flavors. Some of the most popular expressions of Royal Brackla include: Royal Brackla 16 Years Old and Royal Brackla 10 Year Old Flora and Fauna.
Visit Royal Brackla shopShop Royal Brackla gift sets
Royal Brackla is one of only three distilleries that are allowed the "Royal" epithet in their title. The other two are Glenury Royal (now closed) and Royal Lachnager. All three of them are situated in the Highlands.
Sign up to be notified about special releases, live events, distillery tours and other cool things.
Royal Brackla distillery sits at the bottom of the Northern Highlands, in the town of Nairn, not far from the Famous Loch Ness. A freshwater pond reflects the two story stillhouse, giving Brackla a pastoral charm, worth the visit.
Royal Brackla was founded by William Fraser of Brackla House, on property that previously held Cawdor Castle. The first distillery to be granted a royal warrant by King William IV in 1835, Brackla ran for 20 years, before being taken over by Robert Fraser & Company.
Just before the turn of the century, the original buildings were demolished and Royal Brackla was built anew. The site was mothballed for 6 years starting in 1991, and currently operates under Bacardi's ownership.
Royal Brackla has a production capacity of 4 million liters, most of which is earmarked for blending. Water for the make is draw from Cawdor burn. The distillery runs an unusual setup of two wash stills to one spirit.
Malt is slightly peated. All spirit produced at Royal Brackla is actually matured at a site owned by Dewar's, in South Lanarkshire.