Glendronach Distillery was founded in 1826 by James Allardice whose name is still proudly displayed on the bottle. They are smack dab in the middle of the Highland action.
Over the nearly 200 years of their history, this traditional distillery has been bought, sold, and traded more times than a Chicago politician. But in 2008 they were finally rescued by the BenRiach Distillery Company—God bless ‘em.
Visit The GlenDronach shopShop The GlenDronach gift sets
All of the workers at GlenDronach lived on site, including the distillery manager, staff, excise man, brewer and all of their families.
It was believed that the front room is haunted by a Spanish lady, who travelled over to Scotland in a Sherry cask.
In 2009, the new owners invested around 7 million GBP in the GlenDronach distillery.
Sign up to be notified about special releases, live events, distillery tours and other cool things.
This distillery is located near Forgue, by Huntley in the Highlands. Glendronach was founded in 1826, by James Allardice. Until 1920, the distillery had Whisky expert investors, like Walter Scott and Captain Charles Grant.
In 1960, GlenDronach was bought by William Teachers & Sons. In 1996 the distillery was mothballed, and reopened in 2001 with Allied Distillers Ltd. In 2006, Chivas Brothers took control, and lastly in 2008BenRiach Distillery Co. became the last owner under Brown Forman.
The distillery has 4 stills -- 2 wash stills of 13,600 liter capacity, and 2 spirit stills half that capacity. Both stills possess reflux bowls, which increase the quality of raw alcohol. Floor malting was decommissioned in 1996.
Since the distillery both used coal and peat during the kilning process, the malt from GlenDronach is somewhat peatier than the other Speysiders.
Casks used by GlenDronach are generally high quality Sherry casks. They also started using ex-Bourbon casks after falling under the ownership of Pernod Ricard.
CountryUnited Kingdom, Scotland
No. of stills4
AddressGlenDronach Distillery, Forgue, Forgue, Aberdeenshire AB54 6DB, Scotland United Kingdom