Sign up to be notified about special releases, live events, distillery tours and other cool things.
Glen Albyn stood by the Caledonian Canal, which recieved its water from Loch Ness. The distillery lay between the Highlands and Northern Highlands.
Glen Albyn was built by James Sutherland, who was the mayor of Inverness at that time. Business was good, until Sutherland fell into financial difficulty, which led the distillery to be converted into a flourmill.
Gregory and Co. bought the distillery in 1884, until it was used as a US Naval Base between 1917 and 1919.
Mackinlays & Birnie Co. bought the distillery in 1920 and ran it until 1972, when it was purchaesd by Distillers Company Limited. 1983 was the end for Glen Albyn, due to a drop in sales as a result of the Whisky crisis.
The distillery had one wash and one spirit still, resulting in low capacity production. They received water from a distinctive source, The Loch Ness. The malts were acquired by using a Saladin Box until 1980.
They then transitioned from the Saladin Box to industrial maltings, since the costs were lower. Dava Moor was their main source for peat.