Caol Ila 18 Year Old

Caol Ila 18 Year Old

(0.7l, 43%)


8.9/10
OUT OF STOCK

Get notified when the item comes back in stock.

Caol Ila 18 Years Old is like a fine Dominican Cigar on a chilly evening.

In Gaelic, Caol Ila is pronounced “cole ī-la” and it means “sound of Islay.” And sure enough, this distillery sits right on the water facing the deep-water strait between Islay and Jura… smack dab in smoky-single-malt paradise. The Caol Ila Distillerie — owned by Diageo — is a production machine, cranking out 3.5 million liters of the peaty amber liquid each year. But it’s Whisky is in high demand as a core component to dozens of premium blends. In fact, the major blends take 95% of production, leaving only 5% to go into their signature single malts.

Where a young peated Whisky can whip you in the face with charcoal and campfire smoke, it is amazing what time does to this classic Islay dram. A full eighteen years of patient maturation calms the harsher phenols into a gourmet tray of smoked delicacies. You are left with a creamy, smooth, and dense single malt that lingers on the palate with a savory sweetness and pronounced notes of fresh-picked herbs. Where some lesser Islay Whiskies are like chain-smoking a pack of Marlboro cigarettes, Caol Ila 18 Years Old is like a fine Dominican Cigar on a chilly evening by the sea.

Flavor Spiral™

About The Flavor Spiral

Close
smoky
grassy
herbs
peaty
phenols
oak
savoury
sugar
charred
What does Caol Ila 18 Year Old taste like?

The Flavor Spiral™ shows the most common flavors that you'll taste in Caol Ila 18 Year Old and gives you a chance to have a taste of it before actually tasting it.

We invented Flavor Spiral™ here at Flaviar to get all your senses involved in tasting drinks and, frankly, because we think that classic tasting notes are boring.
Dog Dogson
Dog Dogson's
Smartass
Corner
First-class Whisky is taxed not only by the state but also by the angels. This refers to the 4% of Whisky that evaporates from the barrels every year

Tasting Notes

Appearance / Color
Crystal clear antique gold

Nose / Aroma / Smell
Highly aromatic with fresh-cut grass, malt, fresh cooking herbs, and the sea

Flavour / Taste / Palate
Full and round with more grass, grains, wet oak, turbinado sugar, and charred peat

Finish
Long and thick with oiled wood, soft smoke, and autumn rain
Ratings & Reviews
Mark
Mark,
Nice slight pest taste
 
Todd
Todd,
This has to be one of my favorite Islay scotches. I always describe it as "Imagine if a scotch would dance all around on your tongue. That's Caol Ila". It can dance on my tongue any day.
 
Doug
Doug,
Incredible Islay. Love the viscosity...just coats the mouth and peat is perfect. Can't imagine there's a better Islay out there but I'll hold off on giving this a perfect 10 rating to be safe.
 
Jodi
Jodi,
Too oaky
 
Jadran
Jadran,
Best I've tried yet.
 
john
john,
i love it -it is not finished yet. it has a pleasant flavour, almost as good as the 25yo that has finshed a while ago. i find the phenols in the younger ones somewhat overpowering
 
Link
Link,
Nase: Genau richtig Geschmack: Sehr fein Abgang: Genau richtig
 
Load more reviews
Back Back
A Dram for Your Thoughts
You need to be logged in to leave a review.
Your Rating
Review
Cancel