Caol Ila 15 Year Old Special Release 2018

Caol Ila 15 Year Old Special Release 2018

(0.7l, 60.4%)


8.9/10
OUT OF STOCK

Get notified when the item comes back in stock.

All the love of a well-aged Caol Ila Single Malt is sweet without the smoke.

In Gaelic, Caol Ila is pronounced “cull ē-la” and it means “sound of Islay.” And sure enough, this distillery sits right on the water facing the deep-water strait between Islay and Jura… smack dab in smoky-Single-Malt paradise. The Caol Ila Distillery — owned by Diageo — is a production machine, cranking out 3.5 million liters of the peaty amber liquid each year. But its Whisky is in high demand as a core component to dozens of premium blends — including Johnnie Walker’s top tier. In fact, the major blends take 95% of production, leaving only 5% to go into their signature Single Malts.

This Whisky is NOT the Caol Ila you expect. That’s because even though islay is famous for their smoky peaty drams, Caol Ila 15 Year Old Special Release 2016 is the exception. You see, once per year the distillery scrubs-down the stills and tanks and runs just a few batches of their Single Malt WITHOUT peat. The malt is dry-toasted without smoke at all. The 2016 Special Release was aged a full fifteen years in a combination of ex-bourbon and refill European casks. So, what you get is a very limited run of sweet Spirit with the influence of land, sea, and air but without the smoke. And it bottled at a powerful 61.5% ABV, so you’re going to love it.
  • Category
  • Style
    Single Malt Scotch Whisky
  • Region
  • Country
    United Kingdom, Scotland
  • Alcohol
    60.4%
  • Distillery
  • Age
  • Maturation
    ex-bourbon and refill European casks

Flavor Spiral™

About The Flavor Spiral

Close
toffee
milk chocolate
fruit
lemon
butterscotch
apple
oak
pepper
spicy
What does Caol Ila 15 Year Old Special Release 2018 taste like?

The Flavor Spiral™ shows the most common flavors that you'll taste in Caol Ila 15 Year Old Special Release 2018 and gives you a chance to have a taste of it before actually tasting it.

We invented Flavor Spiral™ here at Flaviar to get all your senses involved in tasting drinks and, frankly, because we think that classic tasting notes are boring.
Dog Dogson
Dog Dogson's
Smartass
Corner
Single Malt Scotch Whisky is made in Scotland using a pot still distillation process at a single distillery, with malted barley as the only grain ingredient. It must be matured in oak casks in Scotland for at least three years (most single malts are matured longer).

Tasting Notes

Appearance / Color
Pale Gold

Nose / Aroma / Smell
The aroma is strong, yet soft with notes of Meyer lemon, butterscotch, and flan.

Flavor / Taste / Palate
The palate is warm and creamy with English toffee, mixed autumn fruits, and field greens.

Finish
The finish is clean and satisfying with a definite milk chocolate note on the tail.
Ratings & Reviews
Back Back
A Dram for Your Thoughts
Your Rating (Tap a star to share your experience. )
Review
Cancel