Like what you've watched? We have it in writing as well!
The legend has it that St. Patrick, who brought Christianity to Ireland and hunted snakes in his spare time, once ordered Whiskey and, to his dismay, got a glass that wasn’t quite full. He told the barman he had a devil locked up in his cellar, and that the demon thrived on the dishonesty of men. The barkeeper immediately topped Patrick’s glass, while the saint declared Whiskey is to be enjoyed on his holiday.
Why toasting, though?
How to toast like the Irish
- May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live!
- Here's to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer - and another one!
- Here’s to eyes in your head and none in your spuds!
- May a mouse never leave your meal bag with a tear in its eye.
- May you die in bed at ninety-five years, shot by a jealous husband. May you live to be a hundred years, with one extra year to repent.
- May the Good Lord take a liking to you — but, not too soon.
- May the good Saint Patrick protect ye, and the devil neglect ye.
- May your bank account always be like the capital of Ireland — Always Dublin!
The main idea behind Irish toasts is basically living a long and healthy life, finding a great partner, and hanging out with friends.